Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An old poem: Speaking Truly

I have been writing poetry since I was young. My first poem happened when I was about 11. I don't have it anymore or any of the rest I wrote as a teenager. What a loss. Not because they were good, but because they would give a peek into the type of youngster I was.

I have all the poems I wrote from 1984 onwards. I wrote this poem in 2002 after I had just met a good friend of mine from India and faced her stoically about my divorce. This was the result.

Speaking Truly

I tell people I don’t think of you anymore
That I am strong, and matter of fact
That you don’t really matter
For I have come too far for that.

I tell people I am quite the same
Not broken or incomplete
That there are still reasons to laugh
That one gets over the grief.

I meet friends with dry eyes
And bland smiles that are hard to question
With a quick shrug on my shoulders
That’s ready to perform when summoned.

I tell myself I am not blinded, I can find my way
Even though you turned away your eyes
Even though my hand is no longer in yours
But these are all lies…these are all lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment