Thursday, March 17, 2011

Healthy or Sick?

It is a fact that healthy people are more scared of injections at a doctor's than sick people. One would expect that a patient who is already sick would dislike the additional pain, but they are actually indifferent to it. Why? It's to do with priorities and levels of pain, which makes sick people more tolerant of minor irritants like a poke here and there at the doctor's office.

For 10 years, I worked under less than ideal circumstances. That is putting it mildly. I worked with minimum resources, without any leadership or guidance, constantly at high risk to myself and people who depended on me, dealing with ad-hoc and unacceptable behaviour, fixing things that should never have been broken in the first place, taking responsibility for everything that went wrong, and busting my guts to make things better...and all this for no incentive other than a modest salary at the end of the month.

My pain tolerance all these years was very high because I had seen bad times in life and was dealing with bigger issues than these. I am inclined to believe that my current intolerance for poor personal and professional behavior is a sign of my healing. I think I am getting healthy finally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment