Thursday, April 10, 2014

Again and Again- by Maria Rilke

Again and again, however we know the landscape of love
and the little churchyard there, with its sorrowing names,
and the frighteningly silent abyss into which the others
fall: again and again the two of us walk out together
under the ancient trees, lie down again and again
among the flowers, face to face with the sky.

Rainer Maria Rilke - See more at: http://www.3quarksdaily.com/#sthash.p5hL8HlW.dpuf

I love this short sweet poem, which talks to me about me, about the madness of love and its utter futility, which, at my age, I know all about. I have been to those churchyards, and seen those sorrowing names on gravestones, including my own. I have wandered in those frighteningly silent abysses for years at a stretch, my heart empty. Yet, once again, we walk hand and hand under the ancient trees, lie down again and again among the flowers, face to face with the blue sky! My heart is filled with wonder at the magic that has made a garden of the graveyard...once again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment