Tuesday, June 19, 2012

If I Won a Lottery- by Arya Majumder

It has taken me over three weeks to post this essay by Arya after I sought and received permission from his mother to post it. It should have been easy to post someone else's essay- after all I was not doing the writing right? Wrong. 

The author is not just any someone. He is, was, the son of a dear friend whom I worked with at IIT Delhi a long time ago and then lost touch with. Arya passed away in 2010 at the age of 12, after battling cancer for four years. He was 11 when he wrote this. 

How do I introduce to everyone a child I myself had never known? How do I write a preface that will do justice to the context in which this essay was written?  

I finally figured that regardless of whether I can do justice to it, this essay needs to be shared because it shows a young boy's dreams, his compassion and his honesty. Isn't this exactly what this world needs more of? Thank you Swati for sharing this treasure of yours. 

If I Won the Lottey
By Arya Majumder

If I won the lottery what would I do with the money? Would I be selfish and keep it all to my self? Well think again. I am not selfish and some people say the money won from a lottery is too much for one person. One thing I would do with most of the money is give some money to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My second choice is to give some of the lottery money to the homeless people. Another thing I can do is start Bone Marrow drives all over the United States. I won’t give all my money away I will keep some for my self. This is what I can do with most of my money from the lottery.

Why do I want to help the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society? Well, I want doctors to find more curers for the cancer and plus I had Leukemia for three year. I also know how hard it is to go through the cycle of loosing hair and getting all kinds of chemo and feeling sick all the time. It’s really hard to go through the cycle as I said, but it is even harder for adult. It’s harder for adults because most of the time younger patients get cured faster then older patients. This is why I want to help find curers for Leukemia and Lymphoma cancer.

Why would I want to give money to homeless people? The reason I will give some of my lottery money to the homeless is because they have no job, no home, and most of the time no family. When I see a homeless person I feel that I need to help them find a job and a home. If I could give five million dollars to the homeless and help them build homes and then all of the homeless people will be happy.

Why would I want to give money to start bone marrow drive? Well, I would use the money to start bone marrow drives all over USA. The reason I will use the money for bone marrow drives is because I got a bone marrow transplant. I know that if more people go to drives more sick kids and adults will get a transplant. I want more people to go to drive because I know that there is a three out of ten chance that people find a match. I got a ten out of ten match with a donor and people from my town did a drive for me.

What will I do with the money that is left over?

First, I will buy a big twenty first century house with things from the future. The second thing I will buy a Porsche 911 turbo and Lamborghini Murcielago. Also, I will get a Butler and my personal cook. The reason I will get a cook is because I don’t know how to make Japanese food and I love Japanese.

Finally, I will buy a motorcycle in fact a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

This is how I can help the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the Homeless, and help start Bone Marrow Drives. This is what I will do if I won the lottery…

No comments:

Post a Comment